Veterinary Technician Assistant - Certificate
The Veterinary Technician Assistant certificate program provides training in veterinary health and handling of a variety of domestic and exotic species, with the focus on tasks for assisting the Veterinary Technician and Veterinarians. Veterinary Technician Assistants do not diagnose animal illnesses, prescribe treatment, or perform surgery. Completion of all course work is required before the student is eligible for a 2-credit, 72-hour private-practice internship. This program provides an introduction to the field of veterinary medicine, but is not intended to provide admission to a college of veterinary medicine.
To enter the program, students must meet the following admission requirements:
- Completion of a high school diploma or GED
- Achievement of indicated assessment scores or completion of preparatory course work.
- Completion or concurrent enrollment of BIO 105 or BIO 111 with a grade of "C" or above (no more than seven years old)
- Completion of or concurrent enrollment in HPR 178 Medical Terminology (1 credit), with a grade of "C" or above.
- Prospective students must attend an information meeting the first Thursday of every month in MA131 at the Larimer Campus from 4:00 to 5:00 pm.
- Completion of a Veterinary Technician Assistant intent to enroll application form available at the Larimer Campus.
Admission to the program is limited to the first 12 students who have submitted the appropriate admission materials. Students must be admitted to the Veterinary Technician Assistant program in order to take the curriculum courses as shown below.
All courses must be completed with a grade of "C" or above prior to graduation.
|VET 102||Veterinary Medical Terminology||
|VET 103||Veterinary Assistant Restraint and Handling||
|VET 113||Veterinary Assistant Surgical Nursing and Care||
|VET 114||Veterinary Assistant Laboratory and Clinical Procedures||
|VET 120||Office Procedures and Relations||
|Total Credit Hours:||13
Required General Education Courses
|BIO 105||Science of Biology with Lab||
|BIO 111||General College Biology I with Lab||
|Total Credit Hours:||4
Total Credit Hours: 17